- Make sure your tires are in great shape and are filled with the appropriate amount of air. Do not forget to check on the condition of your spare tire! You want to make sure you will be able to use that tire if you need it. This is a great time to make sure your jack and lug wrench are in your vehicle too!
- Check your windshield for chips and cracks!! A chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it. Windshield repair is often a safe and economical alternative to a full windshield replacement. Scheduling a windshield chip repair is easy! Companies like Safelite AutoGlass provide mobile service – wherever your car is – often within 24 hours of your initial call. Remember that if something happens while you are on the road that Safelite AutoGlass brings you peace of mind by emailing you a Technician Profile before your appointment, showing you a photograph and credentials of the technician coming to your home or place of business.
- Pack a travel safety kit! Make sure you include a blanket, road flares, jumper cables, fix-a-flat, a first aid kit, some batteries, and any other things you think you might need! Having these items on hand will not only save you money and time, they could save your vacation and even your life!
- Take a cell phone for emergency use! While I do not encourage or condone texting or talking on your cell phone while driving, I do think you should have one with you when you travel! It is a great way to let someone know where you are during your trip, and to use to notify AAA or the authorities in case of an emergency!
- Speaking of AAA, I feel like AAA is a much needed purchase that can keep your family safe during travel! You not only have road side service with them, you can also find out about accommodations! This is perfect when you are traveling to places you have never been! You can find out about a hotel before you make a reservation!
- Make sure you secure all your luggage! All luggage on the roof needs to be securely strapped down with proper straps, and your luggage inside your car needs to be safely stowed as well. If you have to slam on brakes, you do not want to take the chance of someone getting hurt from flying luggage!
- Sleep before you leave home! Do not start driving when you are tired! Make sure you are well rested before you hit the road. You are more likely to have an accident when you are tired and your reflexes are not in tip top shape! My family is too important to me to take any chances!
- Pack things to keep your kids entertained. The more entertained your kids are, the less likely they are to distract you with complaints and arguments!! When you are driving, 100% of your attention needs to be on the road and other drivers! Books, travel games, stuffed animals, portable DVD players and hand held games can be life savers!!
- Don't post your itinerary on the internet! You can tell people about your vacation when you come home!! You never know what kind of nuts are out there just waiting for the opportunity to do evil! Don't give them the chance by telling them where you'll be! Also warn your kids(and remember yourself) that not everyone is a nice, friendly person. Remember it is OK to run away from a stranger!
- Carry extra water with you! Although food is important too, you can go longer without food than you can water! If there is an emergency, you can stay hydrated, and also use the water to clean wounds if necessary!
About Safelite AutoGlass:
Safelite AutoGlass® was founded in 1947. Throughout our more than 60 years of service, our company has grown from a single store in Wichita, Kansas, to a national auto glass provider, serving nearly 4 million customers per year.
Through industry-leading 24-hour instant scheduling, convenient in-shop or mobile service, top-of-the-line materials and SafeTech™ certified technicians, you'll find that Safelite AutoGlass offers superior customer service, value and quality.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.