Whether you have just started planning your move away from home for the first time, are downsizing from a larger home, or else have just closed on your smaller than average apartment, then you have certainly come to the right place.
Here, for your information and of course reading pleasure, is everything you need to know, well of any importance anyway, when moving to a small apartment.
Look For Creative Storage Ideas
When looking for ways to improve your apartment storage options, there is a multitude of different products to choose from as well as different tricks to try, including but in no way limited to the following:
- Utilizing space on the walls for shelving
- Order custom-made units which fit under the stairs or in the corner of the room
- Invest in aesthetically striking stackable boxes
- Storage benches for the hallway and other narrow passageways
- Hooks on the back of doors and cupboards
Pay Close Attention to Your Floor Plan
Naturally, but still, a point which some people overlook, when moving into a smaller apartment or into a shared floor in a larger house, it is absolutely crucial to plan the floor layout carefully, ideally before you actually move in.
This way, you can assess the situation and where your treasured items of furniture can be placed before you actually move in, and if necessary, especially if you are only living in the smaller apartment on a temporary basis, you could even look into self-storage options in your local area.
Maximize Your Outdoor Space (However Small!)
Often, especially associated with smaller apartments which are located in cities and large towns, there is a balcony space, however tiny, which you can utilize to your advantage.
Spending time on your balcony or other outdoor space will not only serve to make you feel as if your interior living spaces are considerably larger but will also provide you with a place in which to keep and even grow a variety of plants.
There is a myriad of benefits to living with real plants and flowers, including but not limited to the following:
- A reduction in stress and anxiety levels
- A therapeutic way to work from home
- An effective boost in efficiency and productivity at home
- Assistance in recovering from illness and sickness quicker
- A way to improve the quality and freshness of the air inside the space
- Sharper levels of focus, concentration, and attention
Create High Focal Points
As there is clearly not an overly large amount of space in terms of the floor plan of your apartment, when considering décor and design, the best possible piece of advice is to draw the eye upwards by creating focal points high on the wall and even on the ceiling.
If you are lucky enough to have high ceilings, you could even invest in some beautifully crafted wall sculptures to hang, or if not, instead, choose some eye-catching artwork and hang each piece high up on the wall.